Location: New York, NY
On the corner of Madison avenue and 73rd street, Dr. Phillips Presbyterian Church was erected in 1873 to the design of R.H. Robertson. A series of inconsistent acquisitions and renovations resulted in a complex series of buildings and inadequate systems not well suited to contemporary use.
Following the recommendation of an earlier masterplan for phased implementation, the renovation of the upper portion of the sanctuary was undertaken in 1998 including the restoration of ceilings and decorative fretwork, a new fire suppression system, with updates to the lighting and facilities.
A subsequent phase addressed the restoration and refurbishment of the sanctuary and ancillary spaces as well as the design on liturgical furnishings including a cross, chancel pews, table and marble baptismal font.
Over an eight-year period the eleven-story Parish Hall, containing community facilities, a nursery school and residential units, was completely renovated and the general infrastructure of the church upgraded.